Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fire!

I'm still in shock of a fire that destroyed half a building (12 units) in our apartment complex on Friday night. 
 
Andy and I went to bed early the night of the fire since we were getting up for the Marietta Mardi Gras 5K.  I want to say we were in bed by 10:30 on Friday night.  I heard sirens while we were in bed but didn't think much of it.  They sounded close...but not that close.  We woke up, went to our race, went out for brunch with some new friends, and came back to our apartment.
 Andy's mom called just after noon and said that her friend had seen on the news that there had been a fire in an apartment complex in Vinings and thought it might be our's.  Remembering the sirens the night before, Andy and I took our dog, Spot for a walk to investigate.

After going all the way to the back of our complex without seeing anything suspicious, we went up one last hill and holy moly!!!  We saw the damage.  It was unreal.  And scary.  Everyone got out just fine, no one was hurt but homes were lost.  My heart and prayers go out to the families that lost their "homes" due to the fire.  I cannot even imagine.  The news on Saturday night said that the fire started on a first level balcony but they were still investigating the reason for the start of the fire.  Regardless, I'm still pretty freaked out.  This tragedy is a little too close for comfort.  I hope and pray that  nothing like this ever happens to us and our home!

1 comment: